Sunday, August 2, 2009

Snowbound in August

Well, it is barely August. This is a Christmas ale that I picked up because I love everything that the Left Hand Brewing Company puts out. I bet their waste water tastes like nectar! Their Mil Stout is served in heaven. On draft. Really.

So this is a lightly carbonated ale that pours with a medium brown color. You can smell the spices as soon as your nose gets near the glass. The aroma is strong of nutmeg, clove, and maybe some cinnamon. In that order more or less. The smell is fresh but powerful. If you eschew spice additives in your beer, stay away. Stay away from anyone at the next table drinking this beer!

I usually do not like spiced beer, but this is from Left Hand. So I like it! The strong spice is primarily nutmeg and it goes down easily with an interesting aftertaste. The beer loses some crispness as it warms, and the spice becomes more prominent. The alcohol is 8.6%. This spiced ale is not for everyone, but then spiced ales are a niche product. I am glad I am drinking this one, but I would save the next one if I had bought two.

No comments:

Post a Comment