Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Hot, hazey ale is the brevity of Wit

Please allow me to introduce you to the Abita Brewery Satsuma Harvest Wit Ale. I have a soft place in my heart for this brewery as it is located 15 minutes from my cousin's house on the North Shore of Lake Pontchartrain. I have been to that brewery my friends, and never been able to drive back. Those guys used to brew a small selection of fun beers, but they have really found their stride and now offer a more varied selection.

This one is all wit, with the nice hazy wheat base, the slightly acrid, yeasty aroma, the clean, smooth taste with a little yeast bight at the end. You can taste just a hint of the local Satsuma orange, just a kiss. Talk about your lawnmower beer, this may be the king of those in my estimation. No single aspect of the beer is outstanding, just the whole gestalt. Highly recommended.

4 comments:

  1. I have kids living in the crescent city. they go for abita too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man I went to the Penn Dutch Store and they had no Newcastle, Bass or John Courage.

    I had to settle for Peroni and Negra Modella.

    We are taking a trip to Publix where I hear they have Newcastle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a big fan of wheat beers although I have a certain nostalgic affection for Spaten Munich from my old days scarfing it down in the South Street Seaport.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments guys! This wheat does not have the banana/clove taste of the traditional German wheat, but a sharp, tangy taste from the Belgian wits.

    ReplyDelete