Thursday, September 24, 2009

Fun from Holland


So I picked up a sampler of lagers from Holland, and this Grolsch was the first beer I have poured. Grolsch may have been one of the first interesting beers I tried and enjoyed back in the late 70s. Then it was the swing top bottle, bought as much for the swing top as anything else. Later when I did some homebrewing, those swing tops again became quite tempting. But on to the beer.
It pours with a light blonde color, and there is a nice, spicy aroma. The head was great, but did not last too long. The taste was like spicy Heineken. I mean that as a compliment. A bit more hops, while also having a bit more maltiness. If I was not working tomorrow, I would pour a taste test. Eschewing that, I recall why I enjoyed this lager, and there is a bit of nostalgia associated with it. While I am more of an ale drinker, this is a fine beer, one that I need to purchase again.

3 comments:

  1. We used to buy it for the bottle top too.

    Sometimes the shape and size of the bottle is the reason you buy it.

    Back in the day when we hung out at the South St Seaport everybody drank Fosters. Not because we liked the taste but because they sold them in the extra large "oil cans" so you didn't have to fight your way to the bar as often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. everybody drank Fosters. Not because we liked the taste but because they sold them in the extra large "oil cans" so you didn't have to fight your way to the bar as often.

    I still drink Foster's because of the size. I got used to half liter serving sizes in Europe. When I came back to the states I immediately thought the 12 oz bottles were too little.
    These days, I keep a big half-liter glass mug in the freezer. Two 12 oz cans or 1 big oil can fills it up with some to spare.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Fosters OK, but the large, Australian sized Big Bruce can is actually great.

    "Sometimes the shape and size of the bottle is the reason you buy it." Trooper, are you talking about marriage or beer? Or bra fittings?

    Or, are they the same thing?

    Trey

    ReplyDelete