Friday, September 11, 2009

popcorn

Not the annoying song, not the stuff from the microwave, real, honest to goodness popcorn. We have been on a popcorn tear. The old fashioned way where you put a bit of oil in a pot and cook the kernels. Mmmmmm, popcorn! Alton Brown, make that Dr. Alton Brown (I have conferred upon him an honorary doctorate) turned us on to cooking it ourselves, and once again, we thank you good doctor.

I have just started nerding out on popcorn. It started when the wife got some "butter salt" that was neither buttery nor salty. Then we noticed that the bag of black kernels we got were smaller and a bit different tasting than the Redenbocker kernels we got, and the Kroger ones, well, let us move along. So I used my hyperfocus abilities for good and hit the Internet. Last night we made the first (sadly small) batch from Amish red kernels cooked in honest to goodness coconut oil with real butter salt with FLAVOCAL. I have no idea what FLAVOCAL is, but it tasted like, you know, butter salt.

I am not sure how much difference the special salt or oil made, much more testing under clinical movie watching conditions is needed, but popcorn will be showing up on this blog in the future as I share the fruit of the family labors. Suffice it to say, that our youngest daughter who originally grew misty eyed and petulant when offered popcorn in place of a cookie asked for more when the medium bowl I made was done.

Mission accomplished.

And I know this is neither brew nor tunes related. Have your lawyer contact my lawyer. Especially after I start adding posts about cigars.

No comments:

Post a Comment