Monday, October 26, 2009

Coffee Beer


Terrapin/Left Hand Midnight Project Brew Two 2009 Depth Charge Espresso Milk Stout. Let's dissect this mouthful and a half of a name, shall we? Terrapin and Left Hand breweries make good to great beers that I really like. A lot. I have it from a good source that Left Hand's Milk Stout is on tap in heaven. That is why I am going. Terrapin also makes some really interesting and good beer, but as the LHMS is about my favorite beer in the universe, I have to go with Left Hand.
Next, Midnight Project. I heard some story about how the brewmasters of these two establishments are friends and came up with the idea for this series of special brews at the witching hour. Who cares. I think the Midnight refers to how inky black this ambrosia is. Depth Charge refers to the higher than average alcohol content. Not that you can taste it. It may also refer to the fact that I am typing faster now than when I started this post. There is a lot of coffee in this stout. A lot. A lot of coffee aroma, a lot of coffee taste, a lot of coffee caffeine. Just a lot of a lot of things that you probably like. So when you drink this large 22 oz. bottle in one sitting, and you will, you will have the interesting experience of being tipsy and buzzed at the same time. Espresso refers to the intense coffee content of the ale. And it is a milk stout.
It had too much coffee taste for my wife. She grew up in New Orleans. This is saying something. I pray that they have more of this at my beverage purveyor. Because the coffee buzz is past peaking, and I may need more. This receives my host hearty and ear ringing endorsement.

1 comment: